2003 May 06 15:57

[vox-tech] cut and paste with opera

we were just talking about this on vox-tech.

note that there really was a bug in qt awhile ago which made cut and
paste funky between qt and gtk applications, but it got fixed a long
time ago.

pete

----- Forwarded message from Espen Sand <espen@opera.com> -----

From: Espen Sand <espen@opera.com>
To: opera-linux@opera.com
Subject: Re: [Opera-linux] Copy/cut & paste with Opera (and QT/KDE apps)
Date: Sat, 3 May 2003 18:59:17 +0200

On Saturday 03 May 2003 17:43, Hall Stevenson wrote:
> I guess this isn't directly related to Opera, but can someone explain
> why my KDE/QT and subsequently Opera setup works differently than
> "normal", X-Windows behavior being normal.
>
> What I mean is, if I highlight text, that normally "copies" it to the
> buffer (clipboard in the Windows world). With Opera and other QT/KDE
> apps, I can only do this by highlighting the text and then selecting
> "Copy", be it the copy command in the "Edit" menu or the right-click
> menu. When it's time to paste the text, the middle-button action doesn't
> work either. I have to choose "Paste" from a menu.
>
> Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V do work for copying and pasting, but I'm spoiled by
> the mouse only method. I even catch myself doing it that way in Windows.

There are two main clipboards 1) The mouse selection clicpboard and
2) The "regular" clipboard

1) This is the clipboard that text is automatically copied to when you select
text with the mouse. You can paste from this clipboard by mid-clicking
in another application or edit fields in Opera.

2) This is the clipboard that you copy text to by doing Ctrl+C or using
the "Copy" entry in the menu. You can paste from this buffer by doing
Ctrl+V or "Paste" from the menu.

The problem is that some programs do not follow this rule (Opera does -
try the different modes internally in opera). One has tried
to standardize the way I described above. Take a look at the link below

http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/clipboards.txt
PRIMARY is the same as 1 and CLIPBOARD is the same as 2

It means that text selected with the mouse shall only be pasted another
place by doing a midclick and text copyied with Ctrl+C shall only be pasted
another place by using Ctrl+V

--
Espen Sand
espen@opera.com