2003 May 03 10:20

Re: [vox-tech] LILO Segmentation Fault

hi shorter,

boy do i have the distro for you.  toss out slackware.

jeff newmiller turned me on to the LEAF distribution, specifically made
for systems like yours.   currently i'm using dachstein-CD which
consists of:

one CD
one floppy

the best LEAF computer has no hard drive.  the floppy is write
protected.  if you even suspect the system was modified by a hacker, you
can simply turn power off (you don't need to shutdown because there are
no read/write filesystems) and on again.  the system boots up with the
same configuration.

it's really the best of all worlds.  it even has a 2.4 kernel and lots
of modules thanks to the CD.

the only downside is that the LEAF project is kind of forked.  jeff
knows way more than i do, but i'd go with the dachstein CD route simply
because it has worked so well for me.

it's so simple that i can even give you a copy of my floppy (the cd you
can get off the web) and with only modifying two or three files, you can
tailor the floppy for your own use (for instance, i opened up the
gnutella and quake3 port since i use them).  dachstein was written for
systems just like yours.  and if your system doesn't meet the
requirements (i can't imagine this), there are even smaller versions of
LEAF.

here's the url:

http://leaf.sourceforge.net/

i'm not entirely knowledgable about LEAF.  just a *very* satisfied user.
jeff newmiller can say more (although i think if you search the vox-tech
archives, you should see quite a bit on the subject).

hth!
pete

begin Shorter Rankin <nitehawk999@earthlink.net>