2003 May 03 09:27

Re: [vox-tech] LILO Segmentation Fault

On Fri, 2 May 2003, Shawn P. Neugebauer wrote:

> I scratched my head for a second here.....to clarify, Mark, you mean:
> 1) use "boot=/dev/hda" and
> 2) use "root=/dev/hda3"
> in /etc/lilo.conf (and move vmlinuz to /boot and re-run /sbin/lilo), yes?

  1) yes, do use "boot=/dev/hda"
  2) no, it's a question -- is "root=/dev/hda3" in /etc/lilo.conf?
     if not, we need some different procedure - a little more
     complicated, though not by too much.  you do need to know
     where the root partition is, though.
  3) yes, move vmlinuz to /boot and rerun /sbin/lilo.

BTW, one more thought occurred to me.  what is the state of the system
when you boot off of the boot disk?  is everything where it's supposed to
be?  more specifically, are / and /boot mounted properly?  if not, you'll
need to mount them properly first.  if / isn't mounted properly, you'll
need to mount it, chroot to it, then mount /boot, before editing
/etc/lilo.conf and running /sbin/lilo.  i hope that makes sense!

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim
http://www.cbreak.org/