2003 Apr 30 12:04

[vox-tech] GL chunking problems

Hello all,

Processor: Pentium III 800
Memory: 512Mb
3D card: 3DFX Voodoo5 5500
Distro: Debian testing
Kernel: 2.4.18

For the longest time, I couldn't run any opengl games on my computer
(like quake3 and tuxracer) because they chunked so badly. After googling
around, I found that I needed xlibmesa3-gl, so I apt-getted it. Even
after that, I still got the chunking.

I configure my own kernel (necessary since I run Win4Lin), and I noticed
that under "Character devices", I had the option "Build drivers for old
(XFree 4.0) DRM" was checked. I unchecked it (which causes the drivers
for DRM 4.1 to show up), rebuilt the kernel, rebooted and voila! I could
get smooth gameplay, at least in tuxracer.

Once I got tuxracer to run smoothly, I downloaded the latest Mesa
libraries (Mesa 5.01). Once installed, quake3 now ran smoothly.  I was
then able to run Half Life and the aot port of Hexen II smoothly.

After a couple of days of happy gameplay (my daughter loves tuxracer,
and daddy loves Hexen II), I noticed updates pending for debian testing,
so I apt-getted my system. There was a new xserver-xfree86 version, so I
restarted my xserver once done apt-getting. Now, it seems, I'm back in
the same boat as when I started.  My games are back to chunking badly,
making them unplayable.

Any suggestions as to what I could try?

--
R. Douglas Barbieri