2003 Apr 30 10:31

Re: [vox-tech] macos x questions

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 07:03:25PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> i've never seen mac os x, but it looks like i may have to use one this
> summer for work.   i have some questions about it:
>
> does it have gcc?  vim?  gnuplot?  gnu make?

You have to install Apple's free developer kit to have GCC. I'm pretty
sure it has vi (don't know what kind), but you'd probably have to
install an X implementation to get a windowed vim. My system had GNU
make, but I can't remember if it had that before I installed the
developer kit (which you will be installing anyway...). No idea about
gnuplot.

> is there a shell i can use (preferably bash)?  or is the whole operating
> system point and click like windows?

There is tcsh; I installed bash from source myself to get it, I
believe. I forget where the URL is (anyone else?), but there is a
great site featuring all sorts of *nix ports to Mac OS X.

At any rate, though, I did get my system set up quite nicely as a
typical Unix system; though for Unixy things, I used the console
exclusively (it wasn't my system, and it wasn't worth it to me to set
up X).

Sorry I couldn't give more definite info...

HTH,
Micah