2003 Apr 28 18:31

Re: [vox-tech] Brain fart: making one linux box talk to another

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 02:51:20PM -0700, Richard Crawford wrote:
> Getting the two computers talking to each other isn't an issue.  In fact,
> just now, I was able to ssh into my desktop computer, then from there ssh
> into the new computer, then ping my desktop computer (I thought briefly
> about ssh'ing back into my desktop but thought that would be a bit
> overboard).
>
> I tried smbmount already, but I wasn't able to write or alter files on the
> new server from Linux when I did (though doing so from Windows worked just
> fine).

Here's what I do to mount samba shares:
in /etc/fstab: (ignore wrap)
\\server\share /mntpoint smbfs credentials=/etc/samba/creds.server,uid=troy,gid=troy 0	0

in /etc/samba/creds: (owned by root, mode 600)
username = troy
password = xxxxxxxx

Using a separate file to store credentials saves you from including
world-readable passwords in /etc/fstab

If you're looking for a clicky pointy UI, check out linneighborhood.
I've tried a bunch and it's the only stable, functional smb browser that
I've found.

-troy