2003 Apr 28 17:21

Re: [vox-tech] Brain fart: making one linux box talk to another

Re: [vox-tech] Brain fart: making one linux box talk to another

Getting the two computers talking to each other isn't an issue.  In fact,
just now, I was able to ssh into my desktop computer, then from there ssh
into the new computer, then ping my desktop computer (I thought briefly
about ssh'ing back into my desktop but thought that would be a bit
overboard).

I tried smbmount already, but I wasn't able to write or alter files on the
new server from Linux when I did (though doing so from Windows worked just
fine).

My wife's happy, though.  All of her music files now live on the new Linux
server and can be played just fine from her WinXP laptop.

> "Richard Crawford" <rscrawford@mossroot.com> writes:
>
>> Now, I'd like to access my /home/richard directory on my new
>> computer from my usual desktop.  This directory is set up as a Samba
>> share so that I can get to it from my WinXP computer, but it seems
>> silly to have to do a smbmount from my regular box to get to this
>> directory.
>
> Hello Richard,
>
> The smbmount command seems like the way to go.  What other method did
> you have in mind?  If you don't want to do this manually, stick a line
> in /etc/fstab so it happens automatically.  You'll be ok, as long as the
> server is always up when you desktop boots.  Or were you thinking along
> the lines of an automounter for smb shares?
>
>> And, strangely, making two Linux boxes talk to each other is
>> something I haven't had to do yet.
>>
>> How do I even start?
>
> It sounds like you already have the answer, unless there are more
> details.  Can the two boxes ping each other?
>
> HTH,
> --
> Ricardo Anguiano
> http://www.codesourcery.com