January 6: Social gathering
2003 Apr 30 05:59

Re: [vox-tech] Need your help in recovering database.

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003, Soumyadeep nandi wrote:

> I couldn't retrieve the data from that database, now I
> am planing to set up a new database, as such I would
> request you if you could guide me in making the my.cnf
> file for better stability.

I have read the manual.  I have used InnoDB for small (50MB) databases. I
have NOT managed high-capacity InnoDB databases.  If you want more
reassurance than what the manual says, talk to someone else.

> I am using system of 256M memory, the alloted space
> for the database is 20GB, 32-bit processor. The server
> version is mysql-4.0.12(max) OS linux(redHat-9).

It seems odd to me that RH9 wouldn't have large file support enabled.
Perhaps the mysqld binary you are using just isn't compiled to take
advantage of it.  Maybe you should install from source and the configure
script will recognize that LFS is available?

There is an interesting user comment regarding 4.0.12 at
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Full_table.html.

> Considering the above parameter I wrote the my.cnf
> file:
>
> [mysqld]

[...]

> #                     Data files must be able to
> #                     hold your data and indexes
> innodb_data_file_path =
> /ibdata/ibdata1:100M:max:1990M:max:1990M;/ibdata/ibdata2:100M:max:1990M;/ibdata/ibdata3:100M:max:1990M:max:1990M;

This syntax sure doesn't look like the examples in the manual.