January 6: Social gathering
2003 Apr 25 09:14

Re: [vox-tech] disabling dhcp at startup

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Charles McLaughlin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to debian, so bare with me. ;-)

bear, perhaps :)

> My laptop currently gets an IP address via dhcp while the system starts
> up.  This can be annoying if I am not connected to an ethernet cable,
> because it stops the entire boot process until I press ctrl+c.
>
> How can I disable the system from getting an IP address at startup?  I'd
> rather just run dhclient manually once the system is up and running.

Edit /etc/network/interfaces to comment out the "auto eth0".

To manually bring it up and take it down, use "ifup eth0" and "ifdown
eth0".

> Better yet, it would be nice to have the system get an IP address at
> startup but detect if the cable is not connected.  I stole that idea from
> red hat 8.

I don't know how to do that.  Does seem like a good suggestion for the
ifupdown maintainer.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing