2003 Apr 25 18:17

Re: [vox-tech] Hosts vs Sendmail Errors

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, Jim Angstadt wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Since adding these 3 lines to /etc/hosts on my
> home network:
>
> 192.168.0.10	pacific
> 192.168.0.11	quietone
> 192.168.0.2	win98

192.168.0.10	pacific pacific.angstadt.localnet
192.168.0.11	quietone quietone.angstadt.localnet
192.168.0.2	win98 win98.angstadt.localnet

Then add

angstadt.localnet  192.168.0.0

to your /etc/networks file.

You might also want to have a line like

  search angstadt.localnet

in your resolv.conf file.

Then restart sendmail (something like "/etc/init.d/sendmail restart")

Using xxx.localnet prevents accidental external name lookups from
following the dns chain (wasted resources) and prevents internal lookups
from overriding external names (if you used a valid external network name
like "yahoo.com" then your internal names might mask valid external
names).

The delays you have been experiencing are due to difficulty in identifying
a fully qualified name for either your sendmail machine or machines that
are communicating with it.

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing