2003 Apr 24 12:08

[vox-tech] Hosts vs Sendmail Errors

Hi All,

Since adding these 3 lines to /etc/hosts on my
home network:

192.168.0.10	pacific
192.168.0.11	quietone
192.168.0.2	win98

sendmail complains daily in /var/log/maillog.
For example:

Apr 24 04:02:01 pacific sendmail[25994]: My
unqualified host name (pacific) unknown; sleeping
for retry
Apr 24 04:03:01 pacific sendmail[25994]: unable
to qualify my own domain name (pacific) -- using
short name

logwatch also complains daily, with the same
content:

My unqualified host name (pacific) unknown;
sleeping for retry
unable to qualify my own domain name (pacific) --
using short name
My unqualified host name (pacific) unknown;
sleeping for retry
unable to qualify my own domain name (pacific) --
using short name

I've looked at root crontab, and the cron.daily
dir, for anything which might prompt these checks
but no joy.

Additionally, during bootup on both pacific (rh
7.2) and quietone (rh 8.0), sendmail now has a
very lengthy delay as the service is being
started.  The delay is several minutes just for
sendmail.

Is this a harmful situation?
What is causing these errors?
How can I shorten the delay?