2003 Apr 23 23:56

Re: [vox-tech] Strange server behavior

Mike Simons wrote,

> - This script uses the command:
>   /space/usr/jrun/bin/jrun start admin default
>
>   Which is different from the command you said you run (word default).
>
> - When you use the words "admin default" on command line does it work?

Oy.  Good catch.  I just tried it and yes, it does work.

> This script logs things into /space/usr/jrun/logs/bootup.log
>
> - Have you checked that log file for messages?

Yeah.  Oddly enough, it indicates no errors or anything else going wrong.

I tried to start it up again straight from the command line, by invoking

# ./S51jrun start

It's working... kind of.  Maybe one try out of ten, I get the page I'm
looking for; most of the time I get an error message telling me that the
object I'm looking for does not exist.

I'm beginning to think now that the problem has to do with Jrun talking to
Apache.

> Still is a possibility that it is starting too early, in relation to
> other startup scripts...
>
> - Can you do a ls -l /etc/rcX.d for the runlevel directory you are
> using?

$ cd /etc/rc3.d
$ ls -l
total 13
-rw-r--r--   1 root  1708 Jan  5  2000 README
-rwxr--r--   6 root  3080 Jan  5  2000 S15nfs.server
-rwxr--r--   1 root   349 Sep 18  2002 S49samba
-rwxr--r--   6 root   615 Mar 25 09:03 S50apache
-rwxr--r--   1 root  2224 Apr 23 16:10 S51jrun
-rwxr--r--   6 root   404 Jan  5  2000 S76snmpdx
-rwxr--r--   6 root   861 Jan  5  2000 S77dmi

One thing that I noticed (probably unrelated to this issue) is that
S51jrun is a script in this directory, and not a link to a script in
init.d.  I thought that the best practice was to write all of your scripts
in init.d and then link to them from the other rcX directories as
necessary?

--
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford