January 6: Social gathering
2003 Apr 23 14:50

Re: [vox-tech] Strange server behavior

On Wed, Apr 23, 2003 at 02:02:36PM -0700, Richard Crawford wrote:
> I have a script in /etc/init.d which starts up a service when the computer
> boots up.  It is also possible to start up the service manually by
> entering the appropriate command on the command line.
>
> Now, when I start the service on the command line, it works just fine.
> However, when I start up the computer (or try to start the services
> manually by running the init.d script from the command line), the services
> do not work. They show up as running when I do a ps -aux command, but they
> simply do not work.
>
> How is this possible?

Check how they are called in the init.d script with the argument of
"start", and compare it with how you invoke it manually.

If they are the same, also take into consideration the difference in
environment: what env. vars do you have that init wouldn't/vice-versa?
If you're not running it as root via the commandline, even that
can make a negative difference (it has for me in some cases). If the
latter ends up being the problem, it is often because the script
realizes that, due to certain configurations of your system, running
as root is Very Dangerous(TM), and the script simply refuses in good
concience to allow this situation, and so will gracefully exit.

Of course, you're not talking about graceful exits in this case, so I
doubt that last is your problem. But think about all these
things. There obviously *has* to be some difference...

...BTW, did you ensure that the path to the program you're invoking is
the same in both cases? Coz that would *really* explain it...

HTH,
Micah