2003 Apr 23 12:00

Re: [vox-tech] Need your help in recovering database.

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Tim Riley wrote:

> Soumyadeep nandi wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > As a naive to this field, I want to get rid of a
> > problem, for that, I am keen, awaiting your
> > suggestions. I doubt, I could not present my case in
> > front of you properly. Anyway, my problem spins around
> > the following.

[...]

> > Then after enquirying for the problem in the datafile
> > (i.e. in my system /var/lib/mysql) I found
> > 'ibdata1' file is of '2350907392' size. What I guess,
> > this might be giving me the error.

The fact that this exceeds 2GB is certainly suspicious.  There is a
warning in the InnoDB documentation [1] to beware of OS filesize
limitations. They don't seem to be specific about the consequences, but I
would not be surprised if the file was corrupt by now.  I suspect that
using multiple data files rather than the autoextend option will be
necessary if you are dealing with large databases.  There are kernel
patches (options by now?) that support large file sizes, but they require
some cooperation on the part of the application (mysql compile options)
before they will take effect. (In the long run, switching to a 64-bit
OS is the most effective way to address this problem.)

> Do you mean the filename
> 'ibdata1.whatever_the_extension_for_database_or_index_files_for_your_mysql_version_it'?
>
> You left off an extension; Mysql datafiles all have extensions.
> Is ibdata1 one of your four table names?

You don't seem to be familiar with InnoDB tables, Tim... they offer some
useful features, but they aren't structured like normal MySQL files on
disk. OTOH, my only experience with them has been setting them up a couple
of times... I haven't used them for large databases, and am just barely
aware of their configuration options.

[...]

> > Please advice me what should I do now to retrieve the
> > database.
> > Have I lost the database?

I suspect so.

Your questions would probably be most appropriately addressed to a mailing
list dedicated to InnoDB or MySQL.

[1] http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/InnoDB_start.html

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing