2003 Apr 22 10:49

Re: [vox-tech] mp3 files sound like alvin and the chipmunks

Re: [vox-tech] mp3 files sound like alvin and the chipmunks

What sound drivers are using?  OSS, ALSA, ARTS, ESD.  My guess is the sample
rate being output by the mp3 app is different from the sample rate of your
sound driver.  Some cheap soundcards only output at 48Khz.  Any bitrates
below 128kbps most likely decode to a rate below 44.1Khz, then they are
playing a higher rate thus the chipmunk sound.  Most apps and sound drivers
check all this as it is one of the basics of audio programming.

I'd guess your sound driver is broken.

-- Darrick