January 6: Social gathering
2003 Apr 17 10:21

Re: [vox-tech] introduction & debian / mutt / exim question

Re: [vox-tech] introduction & debian / mutt / exim question

Mike,

> - Is the imap.cc a valid addresses? have you checked it?

Yes ... it's actually my main address and gets fairly heavy use.

>   It's important that the sender be something that mail can bounce
> back to... for example when the first box you relay mail though (like
> pacbell) accepts the message then, but the final destination (ucdavis)
> rejects the mail for some silly reason like (the sender address is
> invalid)... the pacbell has your mail but no way to bounce it back to
> you... so you will think the message went out but got dropped.

That's likely exactly what's happening.

>   I'm sorry I forgot to point it out... there are two spaces between
> local and IP... if you are on a SBC DSL line which uses PPPoE you
> should have messages to the effect of

I noticed that before I tried it and suspected a typo, but tried it both
ways just to be sure.

> === Apr 5 19:34:22 salomon pppd[341]: local IP address 67.119.24.170
> Apr 5 19:34:22 salomon pppd[341]: remote IP address 67.119.27.0 ===
>
> the following grep may work as well:
>
>   zgrep address /var/log/messages* | grep local

Nothing for that, either. My machines are all behind a DSL router that
assigns them link local IP's, so that may be why. (Networking was never
my strong point...)

>   Very good. You didn't state if any of the messages from the three
> methods got through. I imagine UCD rejected all three messages... all
> related to your From address being bogus... and you would not have
> gotten any of the bounces for reasons listed above. The fix above
> should help.

The fix above _did_ help! I added this line to my /etc/email-addresses:

jam: jamcp@imap.cc

and, just like that, ucdavis started accepting my e-mail. Thank you,
thank you, thank you. (-: Looks like I'll be able to go back to using my
beloved mutt.

> GPG key: http://simons-clan.com/~msimons/gpg/msimons.asc

mine: http://www.tricity.wsu.edu/~jmcphers/jam_pubkey.asc

Jonathan.