2003 Apr 13 22:40

Re: [vox-tech] Padding Variables in bash

--- Henry House <hajhouse@houseag.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 07:51:38PM -0700, Ken
> Herron wrote:
> [snip: aligning text in columns]
> > >Is there something similar in bash?
> >
> > I dunno...pipe them into awk so you can use
> printf? :-)
>
> There is a 'printf' included in the GNU
> utilities for use in scripts. Use
> 'man 3 printf' or 'man sprintf' to find out
> about the formatting codes.
<snip>

Hi Ken and Henry,

Thanks for the replies.  I've now got some simple
stuff working using printf.  I'll keep playing
with it.

Not being a c programmer, the two man (or info)
pages cited seem a little obscure.  Maybe that is
why I've avoided it till now.

Thanks,
Jim