2003 Apr 10 15:59

Re: [vox-tech] resolving dependencies with XFree86-4.3.0-3

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 01:50:04PM -0700, Troy Arnold wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 12:58:59PM -0700, Charles Polisher wrote:
> >
> > Use the force. Literally. RPM's --force option will get you there.
> > Xft is an adapter so X can use xft fonts.
>
> Uhh, that's how you get into RPM dependency hell.  Don't --force it
> unless you know exactly why you are doing it and why it will work.
> Don't do it out of desperation...

For my part, I (currently a RedHat user) avoid RPMs like the plague -
I install from source whenever possible, at the moment. So when I *am*
forced to use RPMs (either because the product is binary-only or the
source tree has major flaws), I nearly always have to use --force,
because it probably depends on libraries which I have installed, but
RPM doesn't know about. And I hate source RPMs too.

-Micah