2003 Apr 11 00:42

Re: [vox-tech] Locate verses Find Was: resolving dependencies withXFree86-4.3.0-3

Re: [vox-tech] Locate verses Find Was: resolving dependencies withXFree86-4.3.0-3

--vKFfOv5t3oGVpiF+

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 04:19:52PM -0500, Jay Strauss wrote:
> What's really different about using locate than
>=20
> cd /
> find . -name something* -print

Jay,

  On a filesystem of any size the locate will return long before the
find (*hours* if there are large network file systems mounted) and=20
the find has a major negative impact on other processes/users of=20
the I/O system.

  On machines that don't have locate I write my own "locate", which
needs to change a bit from unix to unix but here's the general idea.

updatedb
=3D=3D=3D
#! /bin/sh

find / | gzip -9 > /tmp/all.files