2003 Apr 10 03:05

Re: [vox-tech] GTK+ 2.2 install

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 04:01:04PM -0700, Samuel Merritt wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 05:30:15PM -0400, Mike Simons wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 01:28:22PM -0700, Ryan Detert wrote:
> > > I am trying to install GTK+ 2.2.1 and I have just done a make install on
> > > the glib and everything compiles and installs correctly with no errors
> > > given.
> > [...]
> > > What is the best way to uninstall the old version and install the new
> > > version?
> >
> > Ryan,
> >
> >   It is unclear how and where the new version of glibc was installed.
> > It is unclear if you or the install process ran ldconfig for it to
> > reload the ld.so.cache.
>
> I think Ryan is talking about glib, not glibc. glib is just a utility
> library that GTK+ depends on.

  Sam, you are absolutely correct... I misread Ryan's whole post putting
little 'c' at the end of everything.

  Ryan, sorry about over-reacting.

  Replacing the glib library is not dangerous at all... you might not be
able to log into your X session, or even start X depending on how the
machine is configured... but regardless the machine will certainly boot.

  So I guess I can go into more detail, but it's hard to be sure
without downloading those source files...

  I'm taking the approach of leaving the old one there and having the
new one be the default.

  If you didn't supply anything special to ./configure for glib, it
most likely installed into /usr/local...

  If that is correct, in /usr/local/lib there should be the copy you
installed...

  At this point you have a few options... for system wide effect I guess
vi /etc/ld.so.conf, add the line:
===
/usr/local/lib
===

  Run 'ldconfig -v' you should see some stuff about /usr/local/lib and
the library version you installed.  If this is true...

  Now you can start trying to build gtk whatever... rm config.cache
if there is one.  It may find the right version by itself... if it
doesn't check the './configure --help' for a option that looks like
'--with-glib-prefix' (or '--with-glib-lib' and '--with-glib-inc')...
set that to /usr/local (or /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/include).

  If that works you should be good to compile...

    Hope that helps,
      Mike Simons

ps:
  I still think you should find a rpm package someplace that's already
compiled for you.