2003 Apr 07 17:04

[vox-tech] Re: vox-tech digest, Vol 1 #679 - 2 msgs

[vox-tech] Re: vox-tech digest, Vol 1 #679 - 2 msgs

Mike Simon:

>   Okay so the ideal situation is we find a mouse protocol that "gpm"
> can use for both mice... we know that imps2 does works with the logitech
> but not RemotePoint, we know that ps2 works with the RemotePoint but not
> logitech.
>
>   Below is a list of mouse protocols that gpm supports that I think are
> likely to work with your mice... in the order I recommend trying them.
> Basically put one of these into /etc/gpm.conf at a time, and try using
> both mice on the console to see if you can move and paste with them.
> (If you don't reboot after changing /etc/gpm.conf you will at least need
> to restart gpm via the command: "/etc/init.d/gpm restart").
> If you find any protocol that works stop and report back...

Here are my results so far, as notated in my gpm.conf file.  (I didn't
try ps2 since you suggested that wouldn't work for the Logitech, and
we know imps2 doesn't work for the RemotePoint.)  It may be that no
one type will work for both, as you suggested.  If that's the case,
it's really no big deal to have two gpm.conf's lying around and to use
a symbolic link to one or the other as needed, esp. if I have to/ought
to shut down before swapping mice, a far more onerous provision.
Perhaps the most important thing is that I've found a configuration
which does in fact work for the Logitech mouse.

device=/dev/psaux   # works for Logitech
responsiveness=
#repeat_type=ms3
repeat_type=raw
type=imps2
#type=autops2    # Does not work for Logitech on console
#type=exps2      # Does not work for RemotePoint
#type=fuimps2    # Does not work for RemotePoint
#type=fups2      # Works for both Logitech and RemotePoint on console but
                 # for neither under X.  Under X, get lots of windows
                 # popping up as mouse moves.
append=""

			- robin.