2003 Apr 04 07:59

Re: [vox-tech] Unix Utilities>OS X= Mystery

Re: [vox-tech] Unix Utilities>OS X= Mystery

George,

So, if I understand you correctly, you would like to run The GIMP in Mac OS X, and you seem to have some kind of CD that contains some distribution or other of The GIMP... and it's weird somehow.

Here's what I would suggest (note that this will work best if you have access to a fast net connection): if you don't have Fink yet, get it (http://fink.sourceforge.net). Go to the web page, read the necessary documentation (http://fink.sourceforge.net/doc/users-guide/index.php), and install Fink. Pay special attention to "Getting X11 Sorted Out" in the user guide, as you'll need the X Window System in order to run The GIMP. Personally, I run Apple's X11 public beta on my Mac, but you can also get it from xdarwin.org or through Fink itself.

Once you have a working Fink installation and X11 is installed, go to a terminal and type "sudo apt-get install gimp" at the prompt. You will be prompted for your password, and then most likely presented with a list of other packages that need to be installed; tell it to go ahead, and sit back. If the command line makes you squeamish, look into FinkCommander. I don't use it, but supposedly it provides a gui for package management with Fink.

Assuming all goes well and The GIMP gets installed without any errors (there's no reason it shouldn't), you can launch GIMP from a terminal by typing "gimp &". Note that X11 needs to be running in order for GIMP to run, and the terminal that you launch it from needs to know which X display to use. What this means is that you need to either launch it from an xterm, or you need to configure Terminal so that there's an environment variable called "DISPLAY" that is set to ":0.0". If you use bash as your command shell in Terminal (this isn't the default), then you can accomplish this by including the following lines in your .bashrc:

if [ -n $DISPLAY ]
then
DISPLAY=:0.0
fi

export DISPLAY

This assumes that Terminal is running as a login shell; if you use csh or something else, I don't know what the proper syntax would be.

If this all sounds like Greek to you, then you need to learn a little bit about Unix, or go another route. There's also a macgimp.org, but I don't know anything about that, so you'd be on your own.

Ah yes, almost forgot, I think it's possible for OS X to not have the "BSD subsystem" (or whatever they call it) installed, that is, many of the core Unix utilities could be missing. If that's the case with your installation, then you'll need to install it.

Good luck,
Matt

Gt wrote:
Hi, good folks
i've a terrible itch to get into the GIMP (image manipulation prog.) I have the computer to handle 40mb files
with dispatch, and i have this CD from Clyogistics. "..all
ya gotta do is click a button, ya da da......). Of course
the author of that little piece has gotta be Pollyana,
herself.
So i pop in the CD, d click on the icon and it says just
click on the desired pkg. Sure. I clicked on gimp, and i get
four files in a subfolder...like: Perl< darwin< auto,
foundation.pm, PerlObjCBridge.pm. Nothing resembling image
editing is possible. The MAC gripes that there ain't no Opr
Sys.
Here is a list of the stuff included in the CD. Perhaps
someone like Henry House could hazard a guess as to what
other hoops i gotta jump thru to get this business uo and
running.

audio/ comms/databases/ devel/ editors/ emulators/ games/
graphics/ irc/ lang/ mail/ math/ net/ news/ print/ sci/
security/ sysutils/ textproc/ www/ x11.

Yessss, i tried bsdmall.com and get no response. Sure would
apreciate i little help. The folks at MACnexus advised me to
buy PhotoShop 7 (with a rolling eye icon, yet). but i'm
already halfway into the poor house.
Would it help to say "pleeze"? George Tranter