2003 Mar 31 23:04

Re: [vox-tech] definition of a virtual machine

On Monday 31 March 2003 04:59 pm, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> ...  the intended
> audience are readers of the linux gamers' howto who want to know what
> things like vmware are.  not people taking a course on java.   :)

OK how about this.  I remember a placard with this on it,
sitting on a demo S/370 mainframe when IBM first introduced
"virtual memory" (we now just call it "swap space"):

  If it's there and you can see it, it's real.

  If it's there and you can't see it, it's invisible.

  If it's not there and you can see it, it's virtual.

  If it's not there and you can't see it, it's gone.

:-)

For what it's worth I think of a virtual machine as one
that's emulated in software.

remote system administration services.