2003 Mar 31 23:04

Re: [vox-tech] definition of a virtual machine

Re: [vox-tech] definition of a virtual machine

On Monday 31 March 2003 04:41 pm, Joel Baumert wrote:

[major snip]

I guess I wasn't sure what Pete was looking for.  The definitions you guys
gave are great, except they are specific and they do not encompass what
a VM could be.  Ie, if a VM can encompass computing devices, what
about a slide rule?  or an abacus?  Both are computing devices, however
neither have a CPU(or BIOS, or interupts, etc.)  That's why if you're looking
for a formal definition, I would go with a more abstract definition.  If
you're in context, then you're probably ok, but I would probably explain
that a virtual machine MAY encompass other computer devices,
possibly without CPUs, memory, etc.

Mike

--
wenk@praxis.homedns.org