2003 Mar 28 11:44

Re: [vox-tech] debian questions - packages under testing / unstable

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 10:30:40PM -0800, Troy Arnold wrote:

> Well, RedHat released gcc- '2.96', a Redhat specific version guaranteed to be
> incompatible with any other vendors libc6.  Debian's 2.95 libc and 3.2 libc
> *are* binary compatible with other vendors.  That's very important to people
> like myself that run binary-only stuff like opera-static.

It'd be bad enough if it was binary-incompatible but worked fine for
those of us who compile virtually everything. But it was a broken
compiler (2.96 was an unstable development version); I got ICOs *all*
the time, if I enabled any sort of optimizations. It was very
frustrating.

-Micah