2003 Mar 27 18:10

Re: [vox-tech] Print server

Jay Strauss said:
> Sorry to flounder here but I'm a little lost.  I've been reading around
> http://www.linuxprinting.org
>
> I want to attach a printer to a debian box, that is already running samba
> and providing (menial) file server services.  Now I want to add the
> printer,
> and provide print server services to my windows clients.
>
> I have an older HP 1100 LaserJet.  I figure I must download and install
> some
> driver for this printer (linuxprinting.org suggests the ljet4, but don't
> have a link to download it).
>
> Do I then need to install some spooling software?
>
> Then do I somehow have to tell samba that the printer should be shared?

If you are using lprng or lpr and have the printers properly setup for
linux with proper entries, then you can check out a few things.

First, if you are playing with lprng then I strongly suggest something
like magicfilters (package) as it works very well with lprng. It deals
with stuff like text vs bin/postscript and the CR/LF thing.

Once you have printing properly working locally, the next step it to name
your printers with good names. From smb.conf, there is an option like
"load printer = yes" (check your man pages) and this is a very, very nice
feature. It automagically reads the printers listed in your lpr copnfig
file taking what I think is the firstr or last "name" for the printers
listed and then automagically "publishes" all of those printers as
available.

Though you can expliticly specify each printer, one at a time, this is a
lot of work. The big advantage for doing this is if you are a larger
business and want to specify "types" for printers and load driver software
on the samba box so that newer windows clients can recognize the printer
and load drivers from the samba server (note this process is not as easy
as the "load printers = yes".)

You may need to manually choose the driver for the printer on each client,
if you went with the "load printers" oprion in smb.conf, but it is the
easiest for a home network.

-ME