2003 Mar 25 15:35

Re: [vox-tech] vi key bindings, readline and bash

Re: [vox-tech] vi key bindings, readline and bash

begin Charles Polisher <cpolish@attbi.com>
> Tim Riley wrote:
> > Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > > if someone wants to do me a favor...
>
> > > 1. download "bash_bindings.txt" from
> > >
> > >    vh224401.truman.edu/~dbindner/mirror
>
> > > 2. source it (source bash_bindings.txt)
>
> > > 3. hit the up arrow key
>
> > > 4. make sure your last history item is pulled up
>
> > This doesn't work right anymore; <right arrow>
> > or <left arrow> then <up arrow> makes it work.
>

> > > 5. make sure the cursor is at the END of the history line.
> >
> > The cursor is at the beginning.
> >

> > > it's a set of key bindings that make readline's vi-style input more
> > > friendly.  for instance, history is just "up arrow" rather than "escape
> > > up arrow".
> >
> > My history is just "up arrow" by default.
> >

> > > it works for me, except step 5.  the cursor is placed at the BEGINNING
> > > of the line for me, despite the fact that:
> > >
> > >    bind -m vi-command '"[A": "kA"'
> > >
> > > that "A" should be placing the cursor at the END of the line and putting
> > > me in insert mode.
> > >
> > > does it work for anybody?
> >
> > Not here.
>
> SuSE does the right thing as-is; this is from /etc/inputrc :
> 	$if mode=vi
> 	set editing-mode vi
> 	set keymap vi
> 	$endif
> and the environment has INPUTRC set to "/etc/inputrc",
> but that can be overridden with ~/.inputrc (bash refman p.82)

hi chuck,

i'm not sure how that can possibly be; seems really impossible.   just
to make absolutely sure, beyond a shadow of a doubt, can you tell me
what you mean by "does the right thing"?

there needs to be more than this, unless suse started hacking on
readline source code...

thanks!
pete