2003 Mar 25 12:23

Re: [vox-tech] vi key bindings, readline and bash

Tim Riley wrote:
> Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > if someone wants to do me a favor...

> > 1. download "bash_bindings.txt" from
> >
> >    vh224401.truman.edu/~dbindner/mirror

> > 2. source it (source bash_bindings.txt)

> > 3. hit the up arrow key

> > 4. make sure your last history item is pulled up

> This doesn't work right anymore; <right arrow>
> or <left arrow> then <up arrow> makes it work.

> > 5. make sure the cursor is at the END of the history line.
>
> The cursor is at the beginning.
>

> > it's a set of key bindings that make readline's vi-style input more
> > friendly.  for instance, history is just "up arrow" rather than "escape
> > up arrow".
>
> My history is just "up arrow" by default.
>

> > it works for me, except step 5.  the cursor is placed at the BEGINNING
> > of the line for me, despite the fact that:
> >
> >    bind -m vi-command '"[A": "kA"'
> >
> > that "A" should be placing the cursor at the END of the line and putting
> > me in insert mode.
> >
> > does it work for anybody?
>
> Not here.

SuSE does the right thing as-is; this is from /etc/inputrc :
	$if mode=vi
	set editing-mode vi
	set keymap vi
	$endif
and the environment has INPUTRC set to "/etc/inputrc",
but that can be overridden with ~/.inputrc (bash refman p.82)

--
Owning a power guillotine means never having to say you're sorry.