2003 Mar 20 23:45

Re: [vox-tech] Compile C to Java bytecode?

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 09:16:34AM -0800, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> Well, in this case, it'd be a compiler.  Instead of C -> x86 opcodes for
> an Intel(tm) processor, for example, it'd be C -> Java(tm) bytecode for a JVM.

Why? Isn't C portable enough?

I know next to nothing about Java (never saw the point of it), but I do
remeber seeing something about running C-written program in the Java
interpreter here: <http://grunge.cs.tu-berlin.de/~tolk/vmlanguages.html>.

> One of my first questions when I first heard of Java back in the day was:
> "So, you could compile C to a JVM?  And you could compile Java to a real CPU?"
>
> I don't think there were tools at the time, but the person from Sun
> (or wherever they were from) said something like: "yeah, I guess" :^)

In fact, there IS a Java-to-native compiler: Gnu GCJ.

--
Henry House