January 6: Social gathering
2003 Mar 20 16:53

Re: [vox-tech] Logitech mouseman and XF86Config-4

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 11:28:54AM -0800, Robin Snyder wrote:
> >   I also need output from:
> > ls -l /dev/mouse
> > ... now that I see this data it could be anything.
>
> /dev/mouse points to gpmdata.  (Sorry for the delay.  Crunch time at work.)

Robin,

  This is good.

  The only problem with the delay is I don't know if the config files are
in the same state you reported them as before.  I read the archives to
refresh my memory about your machine... it seems like you should be able
to use the same configuration for both mice.

  Keep in mind I advise against swapping a PS/2 device while the
machine is turned on, as it may fry your motherboard.  If you think it
is safe to hot-swap mice you can skip all of the reboots mentioned below.

  Please do the following steps and report back on status.  If the
Remotepoint mouse is a two button mouse then let me know the steps
are written for a three button mouse and would need correction for a
two button mouse.
  Hopefully this will not take many rounds to figure out... but if
anything fails stop and report.

  Shutdown the machine, connect the "Remotepoint" mouse you say is your
normal mouse plugged in, turn it on.  Switch to the a text console,
log in as root.

In /etc/gpm.conf put the following:
====
device=/dev/psaux
responsiveness=
repeat_type=raw
type=imps2
append=""
====

Run the following command:
===
/etc/init.d/gpm restart
===

  Now wiggle the mouse around and verify that you can use it on the
console.  You should be able to highlight things with the left button
and paste them with the middle button.

- If the above is not correct, report back and stop here.

In /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 make sure you have the following two settings:
===
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/mouse"
EndSection
===

As root run:
===
startx -- :1
===

  Try to wiggle the mouse around, it should move correctly.  Start an
terminal window, try to cut and paste middle button should paste.

- If the above is not correct, report back and stop here.

  If everything works to this point, shutdown your machine, connect the
Logitech Mouse, power it up.  Switch to console and log in as root.
Verify that you can wiggle the mouse and cut and paste from here.

- If you can't use the logitech mouse on console, stop here and report back.

As root run:
===
startx -- :1
===

  Try to wiggle the mouse around, it should move correctly.  Start an
terminal window, try to cut and paste middle button should paste.

- If the above is not correct, report back and stop here.

  If you reach here, you should be able to stop X, exit out of the
console, and you should be able to use whichever mouse you want.

    TTFN,
      Mike Simons