2003 Mar 20 09:24

Re: [vox-tech] malloc() is ... old school?

Re: [vox-tech] malloc() is ... old school?

begin Rod Roark <rod@sunsetsystems.com>
> Stirring up some dust... my 1978 K&R mentions alloc() and
> calloc() but not malloc().  Then I have this 1985 "Advanced
> UNIX - A Programmer's Guide" which does talk about malloc().

wow -- my gut reaction was wrong!   okay, so there is some kind of basis
for that statement.  thanks, rod!

btw, is alloc() == alloca()?

> In 2003, I think malloc() is pretty safe.  :-)

heh.  i would think a prof would steer students to malloc() to avoid the
overhead of clearing memory if it's not necessary.

consider the dates you give, it still seems like a strange thing to
say...

pete