2003 Mar 20 09:21

[vox-tech] malloc() is ... old school?

i've heard this from two people now.

some students are being taught they should stay clear of malloc() and
instead use calloc() because calloc() is the "old school" way of getting
memory dynamically.  they're taught that malloc() may not be present in
all implementations of the C library.  again, because calloc() is "old
school".  presumably, malloc() is ... new fangled.   ;)

actually, both people used the words "old school", so i'm assuming
that's some kind of quote by the professor.

just for my own self-edification, does anyone know anything about this
"old school" and "new school" business?  i've never heard of it before.

pete