2003 Mar 18 12:07

Re: [vox-tech] Re: [vox] Demo today

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 11:29:13AM -0800, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
> When I try alt-sysrq-h (to display magic-sysrq help) in KDE, my cpu runs
> for awhile but nothing seems to happen.  I wanted to avoid testing
> something more drastic, but since you asked, I entered init level 3 and
> tried a few (alt-sysrq-'h', 's', 'u', and 'b').  Nothing happens at all.

  The output goes into the kernel message buffer, which will appear on
the console, in dmesg, and some /var/log files depending on how you have
klogd setup...
  After hitting A-S-h you should see something like:

dmesg | tail -1
===
SysRq : HELP : loglevel0-8 reBoot tErm kIll saK showMem Off showPc unRaw
Sync showTasks Unmount
===

  If you try the above and don't see the line it is probably being
turned off at runtime.

> > Where would I find this run time command?
> > Can I just delete it or comment it out?

find /etc -type f -print0 | xargs -0 grep -l sysrq 2> /dev/null | less

If you find any lines that appear to be doing the echo you can comment
them out, if you don't find a line you can put your own "echo 1 > "
into the bootup sequence if you want...

    Later,
      Mike Simons