2003 Mar 19 21:07

Re: [vox-tech] Recovering data

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 04:30:20PM -0800, Michael J Wenk wrote:
> The system is running samba 2.2.3a.  There is nothing useful that I can see
> in any samba logs.  I did notice something I was unaware of, the laptop that
> I call buffy was not in my static DHCP table, ie, it is getting various IP
> addresses and names.  I wonder if that could have an effect?

  It is highly unlikely that the Dynamic IP had anything to do with this.

  It sounds like the backup software you used overwrote the file, I would
recommend checking the timestamp on the tiny file to see when it happened.
(after the first restore, or during the second backup, etc).

> I went thru
> the filesystem that I stored the backup on and tried to search for the file
> with debugfs, but either because the file was too large(recover segfaulted
> on me) or some other reason.  Ive tried the tricks I know to recover a file,
> and have failed, so Ive pretty much given up on my data, but ANY help would
> be greatly appreciated.

  It is too late, but unmounting the partition as soon as you realize
something is wrong decreases the chance of future file system activity
damaging your file data, wherever it is on the filesystem.

  One problem you may have 'rm file' is very different from 'echo > file'
in that one unlinks the file so that it's inode is intact but not attached...
the echo on the otherhand truncates the file (releasing all the blocks
that are part of the inode), and reuses the inode for the new file contents.