2003 Mar 15 14:53

Re: [vox-tech] Help a Newbie to run Linux on my Win98 System

On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 06:54:14PM +0530, karthikeyan.balasubramanian wrote:
>   I got 3 Redhat Linux CDs from a friend of mine and planning to install it
> on my Windows 98 System.
[...]
>   I have 3 partitions.
>
>   C:  All my windows program resides here 13 GB
>   D:  All my files, back files etc 14 GB
>   E: I kept this blank thinking that some day I shall install Linux here :).
> 13 GB
[...]
>   I want to install Redhat Linux on partition E:
>
>   PS : I searched through google and found something interesting for doing
> this job.
>          1.  I need to run windows defragmention utility first.
>          2.  I need to use Lilo or Grub (I never knew what this is)

Karthikeyan,

  You do not need to run a defragmention utility, since you already made
a partition for Linux to be installed on.  If you had not made a partition
for Linux, then you would need to run defrag so that you could use a
partition resizing tool to split one of your partitions into two chunks
(one for Linux).

  You will need to use Lilo or Grub.  These are boot loaders, they allow
you to select which operating system you want to boot up when you turn
on your machine they present you with a menu with Linux and Windows,
so you can decide which to boot this time.
  The Redhat install system will handle installing a boot loader for
you, so don't worry about this.

>   Thing is I want something very simple so that I can get started quickly.

  There is also a Linux Installfest happening tomorrow, you could bring
your machine to that and have people step you through the installation
process.  See http://www.lugod.org/if/ for more information.  You should
RSVP if you intend to be there.

    Later,
      Mike