2003 Mar 14 16:36

Re: [vox-tech] mounting an external drive

Re: [vox-tech] mounting an external drive

Thanks! That worked- it was ext3 and now I can write to it!

Jen

Mike Simons wrote:

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 02:06:39PM -0800, Jennifer Stickel wrote:

I have an external drive setup through a firewire on a Sony laptop. I think I have one of the partitions on the drive setup at ext3....but how can I make sure that it it?

run: tune2fs -l /dev/sda7 | grep features

Change /dev/hda1 to be whatever partition you want to check.

output should look something:
===
Filesystem features: has_journal filetype needs_recovery sparse_super
===

If you have "has_journal" it's ext3.
If you don't it's ext2.
If you get an error, it's the wrong partition.

Another option is:
cat /etc/mounts

Which will tell you what filesystem driver currently is currently
loaded, for each mountpoint. if you don't see ext3 it is not mounted as
ext3.

Also how can I mount it so that any user and not just root can write to it?

mount the partition, then run: chmod 1777 /LinuxExtra

I have tried modifying my fstab file a few times this is what I have now (I can mount it as ext2 or ext3). I can mount the drive as a user now but still can't write to it.

/dev/sda7 /LinuxExtra ext2 users,rw,exec 0 0

[...]

I would like to be able to mount this on boot and this fstab does that except that I can't write to it. Thanks

Change ext2 to ext3, umount it, mount it again, run the chmod from above, and you should be able to write. If that fails send another
message and include the output from the commands you ran, and
ls -ld /LinuxExtra

TTFN,
Mike