2003 Mar 11 13:22

Re: [vox-tech] Static IP Addresses On Home LAN

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 10:55:36AM -0800, Jim Angstadt wrote:
> If I go the Red Hat docs approach for fixed addresses,
> then I would just need to provide an ip address during
> install.  No mac address stuff, no router update
> stuff.  Is that right?

  Yes, if you specify a static IP at install you don't need to configure
your DHCP server on the router to issue that IP address to your machine,
If you configure a machine to use a static IP you do need to make sure
that the DHCP server is not going to issue that IP to another machine
on the network because you will have bizarre network problems if that
happens.

> What else am I missing?  Which is a better approach?
> Why?

  Using DHCP is better.  It centralizes the configurations of your
network settings in one place, so that it is easy to change and see
conflicts.  Having it set to DHCP allows you to move your machine
onto other networks and not need to fiddle with the network settings.

  Having all machines on a network using DHCP is best.  If you want
static IP addresses tell the DHCP server to issue the same address to
a given machine all the time.

    TTFN,
      Mike