2003 Mar 11 08:41

Re: [vox-tech] SSH On Home Network

--- Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, Jim Angstadt wrote:
>

> > --- Mike Simons <msimons@moria.simons-clan.com>
> wrote:
> > > Jim,
> > >
> > >   Thanks for the output.
> > >
> > > Two observations:
> > >
> > > - You are using the wrong IP address when
> ssh'ing
> > > from the rh7.2 box to
> > >   the rh8.0 box.  rh8.0 is configured for IP
> address
> > > 192.168.0.3, and
> > >   you ran ssh to 192.168.0.11.  Try again with
> .3
> >
> > Good grief.  You are right.  I can ssh into .3
> >
> > This is very confusing.  The rh8.0 box was set up
> with
> > a static (I thought) address of .11 and I verified
> > that it had .11 at the time with ifconfig.
> >
> > Just looking at my router, I see 2 dynamic
> addresses
> > and 2 static addresses.  The last time I looked it
> was
> > 1 and 2.  Also, the win98 box was .3 and now it is
> .2
> >
> > The rh7.2 box has kept it's .10 address since the
> > begining.
> >
> > I guess that means I messed up the router config.
> > somehow.  Now, at least, I'll be working on the
> right
> > problem.
> >
> > If anyone has a few tips for working with a
> Netgear
> > FR314 router, or a few good links, I would
> appreciate
> > the pointers.
>
> Static IP addresses are configured in the device...
> check your rh8.0
> configuration files and make sure it is not
> requesting a DHCP address from
> the router.

Hi Jeff,

Monday night I changed the router config by deleting
the .3 address and by adding a static address
(192.168.0.11) and the mac address of the rh8.0 box.

This morning the rh8.0 box had the .11 address,
according to ifconfig.  I could also ssh into .11 from
rh7.2 and my win98 box.

Do you think I need to make additional changes in the
rh8.0 box?  Is this a stable situation, or will
addresses change again when I least expect it?

I would really like to have an address scheme that is
stable.

> Also make sure that if you want to access the
> machine using names, you can
> set up your internal names in "hosts" files on your
> various other
> machines.  This means that if you _change_ a static
> IP address in the
> device , you will have to alter all of those files
> on other machines as
> well so they will know about the change.
<snip>

I'm glad you mentioned this.  It is something I want
to do after the addresses are stable.

Thanks for the help,
Jim