2003 Mar 10 15:08

Re: [vox-tech] SSH On Home Network

--- ME <dugan@passwall.com> wrote:
> With only the data you have provided, it looks more
> like the interface is
> down, or an interface is improperly configured.
>
> Nothing can ping it.
> Nothing can ssh to it.
>
> If it cannot ping others, and/or canont ssh to
> others, this further adds
> to this as being more likely. (Pinging yourself is
> not a sufficient test
> for use of the correct interface, but it can be
> useful in testing firewall
> rules. I mean here, to ping other boxes from the RH8
> one.

Hi ME,

The rh8.0 box can ssh and ping to both other boxes.

> Things to do:
> 1) Check to see if the link light is on for the
> interface.

The light is on and green.

> 2) If it is on, are there multiple NIC interfaces?
> if so, make sure you
> are using the same physical NIC you configured.
> (Some systems come with
> integrated NICs and allow for extra NIC too.

Only one NIC.

> When you type:
> # ifconfig
> does it list your "ethN" interface where "N" is a
> number greater than or
> equal to zero?

It lists eth0 and lo.

> How about:
> # route -N
> Does it list anything other than loopback
> (127.0.0.1) ?

Yes, there are 3 rows:
192.168.0.0
127.0.0.0
0.0.0.0

> If you can ssh from this RH 8 box to others, then
> look into firewall rules
> and limits from filters.

I can ssh to other boxes from my rh8.0 box.

Could you give me a starting point for this, please.
I'm totally ignorant on firewalls and filters.