2003 Mar 10 14:44

[vox-tech] SSH On Home Network

Hi All,

I've added a Red Hat 8.0 box to my home network.  It
does not accept ssh or ping from the other boxes -
rh7.2 and win98 - on my home network.  I want my linux
boxes to serve ssh to the other boxes on my network.

On the rh8.0 box, when I run:
   netstat -at | grep ssh
it shows LISTEN.

Immediately after failed ssh attempts, I did not find
any error messages in /var/log/messages.

Below is a summary of my attempts to connect between
various boxes.  What should I do?

Thanks,
Jim

# ping between boxes on home network

ping from win98 to rh7.2:	yes
ping from win98 to rh8.0:	Request timed out.
ping from win98 to win98:	yes
ping from win98 to lugod:	yes

ping from rh7.2 to rh8.0:	Destination Host Unreachable
ping from rh7.2 to win98:	yes
ping from rh7.2 to rh7.2:	yes
ping from rh7.2 to lugod:	yes

ping from rh8.0 to rh7.2:	yes
ping from rh8.0 to win98:	yes
ping from rh8.0 to rh8.0:	Destination Host Unreachable
ping from rh8.0 to lugod:	yes

conclusion:  rh8.0 box does not serve ping.

# ssh between boxes on home network

ssh from win98 to rh7.2:	yes, using WinSCP2
ssh from win98 to rh8.0:	no, using WinSCP2
ssh from win98 to other:	yes, using WinSCP2. (other =
friends server)

ssh from rh7.2 to rh8.0:	Secure connection to
192.168.0.11 refused.
ssh from rh7.2 to win98:	n/a
ssh from rh7.2 to other:	yes

ssh from rh8.0 to rh7.2:	yes