2003 Mar 09 06:25

shutdown -h vs. halt

  • To: "Vox-Tech" <vox-tech@lugod.orMAPSg>
  • Subject: shutdown -h vs. halt
  • From: "Robert G. Scofield" <rscofield@afeMAPSs.com>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 10:29:37 -0800

I tried posting this yesterday, but it didn't get through so I'm trying again.

I vaguely recall reading that one should turn off one's computer with shutdown
-h instead of halt.

Is there any reason why one should not use halt?

I've got a problem with shutdown -h.  About evey other week shutdown -h
reboots the computer instead of shutting it down.  When that happens I've
been embarassing the Linux movement by booting into Windows and shutting the
computer off from there.  But when this problem happened a couple of nights
ago, I found that I could turn the computer off by using halt.

Thank you.

Bob