2003 Mar 11 12:05

halt vs. shutdown -h

  • To: "Vox-Tech" <vox-MAPStech@lugod.org>
  • Subject: halt vs. shutdown -h
  • From: "Robert G. Scofield" <rscofield@afes.MAPScom>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 22:56:11 -0800

I vaguely recall reading that one should use shutdown -h instead of halt to
turn off a computer.  I want to know if there's any reason not to use halt.

On my Mandrake system there are a couple of differences between the two.  An
insignificant one is that with halt the messages come up within the context
of a GUI background (just like when Mandrake boots up.)  With shutdown -h,
the messages come up with a black background.

But here's a significant difference that leads to this post.  On my somewhat
buggy Mandrake 9.0, (I know what Pete will say about the "dot oh.") every two
weeks or so I have a problem with shutdown -h.  Even though "killing all
process" and "power off" come up, the system reboots instead of shutting
down.  When that happens I've been rebooting into Windows, and then shutting
down from there.  But last night when I had this problem, I used halt and the
machine shutdown without my having to embarass Linux by going into Windows.
So is there any problem with using halt instead of shutdown -h?

Thank you.

Bob