2003 Mar 07 16:26

[no subject]

I am not really clear why you want this server though... file locking over
remote connections is likely to be a PITA when the connection goes iffy.
If you want to do collaborative development (not necessarily of program
source code, but of any files), then perhaps you ought to learn how to use
CVS.  Or, you can use WebDAV and https, and each of you have your own
"write" directories with mutual read access.

You write:
> > What I think would be really neat (i don't think it exists), is a https
> web
> > page I could go to, authenticate, and magically I could then see some
> > common/shared file systems, and be able to use if from my normal directory
> > structure (ie. thru windows explorer or from unix "ls"), so that I could
> > still use it while on a security conscience client site.

I am not sure what you mean by "security conscience client site"... if you
want to be able to go from an arbitrary remote site "back home" to your
home office, make sure you bring your own hardware (laptop) and encrypt
all the way home.  Using your client's hardware can allow keyboard
sniffers and trojans to monitor your activity before it ever gets
encrypted. If you want to be able to access a client's site from elsewhere
without compromising their security, then you may need to convince them
that the hardware and LAN you are coming from is clean, and tell them what
IP address you are coming from, and then use their preferred VPN
connection mechanism (IPSec one hopes).