January 6: Social gathering
2003 Feb 28 23:50

Re: [vox-tech] Skipping sound

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 08:50:39PM -0800, Samuel Merritt wrote:
> I suspect this is a bug in XFree 4's mga driver, and I will be sending
> in a bug report this weekend.

  That is a good idea.

> On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 08:29:55PM -0500, Mike Simons wrote:
> >   I don't expect this to work... but try it and let me know what the
> > results are:
[...]
> >   Basically if it doesn't work I'd like to try some other settings.
>
> You were right; it didn't work. I ran those commands below. I also
> experimented with low latencies; with a latency_timer of 20 (32 decimal)
> for all devices, the stuttering was slightly worse. A latency_timer of
> 32 for everything but the video card, and a latency_timer of ee for the
> video card improved matters a tiny bit.

  If you are willing to try one more configuration I'd suggest something
like:

  0xee on the sound card (so that it doesn't get interrupted),
  something very small (like 0x0 or 0x8) on the video card...

  Just to see if the sound stuttering stops.  If it does stop stuttering
raise up the video card latency until you have problems.

> I chose ee, not ff, because the URL below suggests that decimal 248 is
> the maximum possible setting for the latency timer. I did try ff for the
> video card, but it didn't seem to help.

  Heh, yes... according to document ff is lowered to 248 by the setpci
command itself.  I didn't try though.

> It should be noted that the stuttering still occurred with the network
> cable unplugged, so I don't think it's a problem with the network card
> hogging the bus.

  Based on your problem report I didn't think the network was involved,
I was just copying the text from the other report and adjusting for you
situation.