2003 Feb 28 13:27

Re: [vox-tech] booting off an external hard drive

Re: [vox-tech] booting off an external hard drive

Jennifer,

Your second idea is most likely the easiest. Redhat installer will see an external drive. I have a USB 2.0 external drive and the installer will allow me to install to that drive. However, due to BIOS support it will not boot off a USB 2.0 drive. If you install the bootloader on the internal hard drive that may be all you need to do. Or, you could make the /boot partition on the internal hard drive and all other partitions on the external and install the bootloader on the internal hard drive. The only other thing you may need to do is use the initrd (initial ramdisk) in your kernel config to load the USB driver. Otherwise it may not know how to access the USB drive. This is the type of thing you need to do to boot off a SCSI device under some configurations and external USB devices use SCSI emulation so it may not be too difficult. I hope this helps, I have never tried it myself but it seems very doable. Let me know how things work.

-Corey A. Hines