January 6: Social gathering
2003 Feb 28 13:27

Re: [vox-tech] Skipping sound

I managed to hack around the problem; I installed XFree86 3.3.6 on this
machine, and I can no longer make the music skip just by causing a lot
of screen updates.

I suspect this is a bug in XFree 4's mga driver, and I will be sending
in a bug report this weekend.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 08:29:55PM -0500, Mike Simons wrote:

> ===
> latency_multiplier   8
>
> min_grant_clocks  72, max_latency_clocks    0
> min_grant_clocks   0, max_latency_clocks  640
> min_grant_clocks  16, max_latency_clocks  192
> min_grant_clocks   0, max_latency_clocks    0
> min_grant_clocks 160, max_latency_clocks  320
> min_grant_clocks 128, max_latency_clocks  272
>
> sum of minimum grants 376
> lowest latency allowed 192
> ====
>
>   According to that last URL your situation is hopeless,
> because the sound device says it can't wait more than
> 192 ticks, before being serviced and if the guy with
> 160 and 128 happen to come along the sound card has hard
> to wait too long.
>   I personally think that is bogus... there has got to be a way to have
> them play along.
>

>   I don't expect this to work... but try it and let me know what the
> results are:

You were right; it didn't work. I ran those commands below. I also
experimented with low latencies; with a latency_timer of 20 (32 decimal)
for all devices, the stuttering was slightly worse. A latency_timer of
32 for everything but the video card, and a latency_timer of ee for the
video card improved matters a tiny bit.

I chose ee, not ff, because the URL below suggests that decimal 248 is
the maximum possible setting for the latency timer. I did try ff for the
video card, but it didn't seem to help.

It should be noted that the stuttering still occurred with the network
cable unplugged, so I don't think it's a problem with the network card
hogging the bus.