2003 Feb 28 12:49

Re: [vox-tech] booting off an external hard drive

Jennifer Stickel said:
> I have a laptop that is a few years old and only has a 10GB hard drive
> that is almost full.  I would like to increase that and be able to dual
> boot my computer.  Right now I am using Windows XPpro and have RH8.0
> installed on a desktop.  I was wondering if anyone knows if you can boot
> off an external hard drive either connected via the firewire or through
> a SCSI card in a PCMCIA card slot?  If not, is it possible to just have
> a "skeleton" of Linux on the internal hard drive and have most of the
> programs and files on the external one?

For the most part, choice of boot devices is controlled by the BIOS. I
have seen laptops that support booting from PCMCIA devices, a NIC, HD,
floppy, CD-ROM, zip disk, etc.

Often you can examine the BIOS settings by entering setup on your machine.
(Somes ESC, or F1 or F2 or DELETE or INSERT - sometimes you can for going
into setup by pressing keys on the keyboard during POST or disconnecting
the keyboard before POST.)