January 6: Social gathering
2003 Feb 27 13:15

Re: [vox-tech] Skipping sound

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 03:43:14PM -0500, Mike Simons wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 12:14:09PM -0800, Samuel Merritt wrote:
> > If I have music playing and I move a window around, switch windows, or
> > scroll a window, the music stutters. I'm using XFree86 4.2.1 and ALSA
> > 0.9.0rc2 (defaults for Mandrake 9).
> [...]
> > I've also tried switching between ALSA and OSS. It makes no difference.
>
>   I don't have a solution... but checking a few more details.
>
> - Is the sound source a mp3, ogg, or CD in a CDROM drive?

The skipping occurs with mp3, ogg, and wave files. It does not happen
with a music CD, which makes sense since the CDROM drive sends the music
directly out the sound card.

> - What sound player are you using and have you tried any others?

xmms, noatun, mpg123, ogg123, play: all exhibit skipping.

> - When playing the sound source how busy does "top" or "vmstat 1" show
>   the CPU being?

top shows the load average as 0.02 0.04 0.04; this is including a little
"background noise" like a periodic fetchmail.

> - Is the video card AGP or PCI?

The video card is a PCI Matrox Mystique. When I was using my AGP GeForce
4 (before it died), this problem did not occur.

--
Samuel Merritt