2003 Feb 26 18:14

Re: [vox-tech] Skipping sound

Peter Jay Salzman said:
> i don't know my irq numbers.  is 15 usually assigned to something like
> the timer or usb?

On Systems with IDE based drives, 15 is often secondary IDE.

0=cpu/timer *
1=keyboard *
2=Cascade to upper 8 irq *
3=/dev/ttyS1
4=/dev/ttyS0
5=often free or sound card or extra par port or serial port
6=Floppy Drive Controller #
7=parallel port #1 #
8=clock/real time clock *
9=cascade from 2, effectively "same as "2" but not quite the same *
10= often free or sound or usb or firewire or...
11= often free or sound or usb or firewire or...
12=ps2 mouse if you have one #
13=Math Co *
14=Primary IDE or SCSI on some systems #
15=Secondary IDE #

Of course with the newer IRQ stuff much is not "set" and unchangeable.
The ones I listed above ith a trailing "*" are pretty much set without you
given choice.
The ones with trailing "#" often use that IRQ resource when present and
these are often unchangable, but not always.
The serial ports are usually set as above, butcan often be altered.

The above describes older x86 based PC IRQ.

With newer systems and PCI with resource sharing and the virtual mapping
of "extra IRQ" you can find caes where your x86 based linux system will
report IRQ higher than 15 when you cat /proc/interrupts

Enjoy,
-ME