2003 Feb 26 10:34

Re: [vox-tech] Grub question

Have you read through "building a custom kernel" section of the the Red Hat customization manual? Here is the 7.2 version:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.2-Manual/custom-guide/

It explains a few of these details, although not enough to trouble shoot if you have a particular problem.

Jonathan

Ryan wrote:
I downgraded to gcc 2.95 and the kernel compiles now, so now I am trying to
install it. I kept getting errors during the boot up, some of which included "no
ext3 support" but I'm assuming that can be fixed by adding extra options into
the menuconfig. I want to use the grub and I'm seeing this in the grub.conf

title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-24.7.x)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-24.7.x ro root=/dev/hda1
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.18-24.7.x.img

I want to add my new kernel /boot/bzImage
I was wondering what the last line with the initrd does. I couldn't find
anywhere online that was particularly useful about what this does. So currently
in my conf file I have

title Red Hat Linux (mine)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /boot/bzImage ro root=/dev/hda1

Previously I was using up2date on Red Hat 7.2 to update my kernel.

-ryan